Afternoon with Majesty

The sky was gloomy but without tears. The sun was hiding behind a blanket of clouds, it's barely even there. Despite the overcast, I ...


The sky was gloomy but without tears. The sun was hiding behind a blanket of clouds, it's barely even there. Despite the overcast, I can see drops of water trickling down my cousin's face. "The cool wind is absent today" i thought to myself.

I woke up wanting to create. It's been a while since I last held my camera to tell a story of my own. These past weeks, I've gotten the opportunity to get paid by taking photos and videos for other people. The pay was good enough to get me another lens. But I was dying to do something I can call mine. So, I sent a few messages and after a couple of hours I found myself , my cousin Majesty, my friend Danielle ,  and her mother Grace, in a car in search of a beautiful location.


We found a place by the road, after a 20 minute drive from the city.

I started taking pictures of my cousin and couldn't help but be reminded of the woman who brought the whole family together during christmas, birthdays, anniversaries,  and different celebrations. She filled our bellies with good food, and supplied our hearts with laughter as she would often throw jokes just like her siblings. When we were with her, we never had to be afraid of not having something to snack on, because she would always bring some food for her pamangkins (nephews and nieces) who were always hungry. But it all came to an end when she became sick and eventually went to heaven about five years ago.

Majesty's face was every bit of her mother, my Auntie Lele, the woman who fought the good fight.



In many ways she resembles her mom, but in many ways she also sets herself apart. Majesty is an incredible dancer, whenever I watch her dance I wish I could dance like her. She is full of grace, and always smiles whenever she's on stage. At the age of 13, she started to volunteer for the Church's kid's ministry, she is excellent at teaching children and taking care of them. Something I hope I was good at, too. She's become a strong young lady, who learned to take care of herself after my Auntie died. I am excited to see her grow and shine some more.

"Tingin ka sa taas," look up
"Oh, thank the Lord!"


The sun was dipping low into the horizon. I was chasing the light. It was in the last moment of brightness that Majesty started to let loose. Finally comfortable on her own, she started to express herself. And at that moment, I committed to work hard to become better at this, so that I can truly capture whatever is before me. There's so much more to learn, and so much story to capture. I wish to be better, i will be better.

I've been thinking a lot, as usual. I got myself in a ball of pressure, and I don't know how to get out. I ponder on what God has revealed to me these past days and more questions come up. I wonder how the next six months will turn out for me? This thought ran through my head the entire time as we drove home.

I look at Majesty and remember being bright with life at seventeen. I'd like to think that I still am as excited and wild at heart at this age. Twenty two is still young anyway, it's the perfect time to explore and learn, fall and rise. I won't let the world take away the joy I've found in simple things such as walking by the sea, looking up at the sky, biking down the hill , and taking photos. I'll do my best to make this adult life fun.

Paper work is not fun at all, for me. But I've began processing papers needed for me to get a job. I'm trying to mature, 'this is part of life' I tell myself. Someday, I hope to find myself around the world, immersing  in culture , taking photos of people , and sharing the love I've received. I can't save the world, but I'm working with the One who can. All these in due time.

Time has flown, the dullness was replaced by darkness. The moon showed up in between the clouds. I bid good bye to my cousin and friends. I say goodbye to the day. I lay on my bed to rest, hoping that the cool wind would come the next day.














Photos by Trisha Reyes
Styling by Danielle Alivio


*If my writing or photos have stirred anything within you, please feel free to write a comment down below, I'd love to hear from you.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Love your beautiful shots... you are an amazing photographer! Keep it up Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang ganda Trish. Ipagpatuloy mo lang yan, hindi mo alam sobrang dami mo nabbless. Ganda ng shots, pati choice of words, saka paano ka mag kwento. AMAZING! Love you, Trish. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, miss ko na si Jesty at Dale. Grabe ang laki na nila. Parang kelan lang naglalaro pa tayo don sa bahay sa Cabalan. I miss Auntie Lele din. She's rejoicing in heaven I know.

      Delete