A Farewell

We hurried to catch the golden hour, it was a cloudy day. I feared that there wouldn't be enough light to take decent photos of my ...


We hurried to catch the golden hour, it was a cloudy day. I feared that there wouldn't be enough light to take decent photos of my friends. We've long planned to take pictures to keep it as a souvenir. Because we know that as college life comes to an end , we also must say farewell to one another.

Naizel and Edrian, is set to move to another city immediately after graduation. Diane is looking at the possibilities of seeking employment in Manila. And me? I 'll just go against the flow. We're all heading different ways, and dreaming different dreams. We never really had that much in common with one another, but we've stuck together these past years.

When I went back to college after two years, I didn't think I'd still enjoy being part of a group. So I spent most of my freshman year alone in the library. It was a lonely season. I felt awfully out of place, and lacked the confidence to socialize. But things changed since I've become friends with these girls. They all call me "Ate" but sometimes they shock me with their maturity.

Despite of being talented and smart, they are not boastful. They probably are the most humble young ladies I've met. They don't want attention to themselves, they work silently. But they have their own brand of confidence that makes them like-able. Last year, they surprised everyone when they got the lead roles in our College stage play. No one expected that they would be such incredible performers, I remember tearing up as I watch them rehearse.

But what I love about them the most is their simplicity. They never expressed intense desire for material things, or cared so much about getting on the latest trends. In fact, Diane is the only one who knows how to put make up on. We have heavily relied on her make up skills during photo shoots, events, and performances. They don't put so much thought on things most girls their age would spend hours trying to perfect. They keep things simple, and put their energy onto things that are of greater value such as family.

When we talk about our dreams, they don't say much about making a name for themselves. But they say so much about how they want to achieve great things in order to give back to their parents. Love for family is the fuel that drives them to dream big. It was never about so they have something to show off.

As I look back, I realize how much these girls have taught me. They are reminders of the reality that we all live in. The reality which I badly want to escape from but have to face sometime soon.

The sun was tucked underneath the horizon, leaving us with the most beautiful pink sky. We took a video of ourselves, and promised to watch it again after ten years. We held each other and laughed until the pink sky faded into darkness.





























To Diane, Edz, and Naizel:

Thank you for the friendship you've given me. I will keep on cheering you on as you step into the adult life. I will still be your "stage" ate, and cry whenever you're out there achieving great things. With the heart that you have, I know you are bound to reach mighty heights. 







You Might Also Like

0 comments